Wet Shaving is growing in popularity these days and for the right reasons.
Yet, I get phone calls and messages on what is it and how is it different to my current shaving routine? Why should I use a pre shave oil? What shaving brush should I use? What is the difference between a shaving cream and soap and many others.
Summary of Wet Shaving
By the end of this article you will understand wet shaving and what it is and isn’t plus terms like BBS, DE, open & close comb and many others. And if you still have questions feel free to write at firstname.lastname@example.org
Before we start, understand that there is a subtle difference between traditional & wet shaving. Typically, traditional shaving refers to shaving with the straight or double edge (DE) safety razor, shaving brush, shaving cream, and after shave.
With the advent of the cartridge razor, wet shaving is typically referred to using water with different types of razor – straight, DE, multi-cartridge, disposable, and electric razor or shaver. Any of these razors plus a preshave oil, shaving brush, shaving cream, and after shave are a part of Wet Shaving. However, they aren’t all effective. Look at the chart below :
No wonder a lot of people want to avoid the famous 5 O’clock shadow from the disposables and multi-cartridge razors (that happens as you never get a clean shave) and go for the safety razors. A shave from a single blade lasts well into the night, in time for your after hour get together or romantic dinner!
Here’s all that you need for an enjoyable wet shaving routine and the benefits:
1. Pre Shave Oil – this is your first step to a BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) Shave. Wash your face with warm water and apply the pre shave oil. This oil prepares your skin for a smooth shave with a razor glide, repair any imperfections, and takes care with the natural oils that make the skin supple
2. Shaving Cream or Shaving Soap – you will notice I haven’t mentioned a shaving foam. Throw the can of foam away and stop it, it has cheap ingredients and leaves your skin dry plus it never allow for a smooth shave.
a. Shaving Cream – comes in a tube or shaving tub or jar, filled with natural ingredients and helps retain the moisture of your skin,
The basic difference between the shaving cream and soap is cost and moisturization – the per shave cost of a soap is 4 to 5 times lower than a shaving cream simply because it lasts so much longer – as many as 180 shaves plus has wonderful skin moisturization.
3. Shaving Brush – throw the nylon bristle shaving brush costing Rs. 55 to 65 in the rubbish. These do not absorb any water rather repels it so is completely ineffective with the shaving cream and useless with the shaving soap.
a. Synthetic Bristle Shaving Brush – with technology the latest vegan, synthetic brushes are as good as your favorite badger brush. They provide the right flexibility, rigidity, and water absorption to make a good lather,
b. Boar Shaving Brush – these are simply outstanding with their high water absorption, and the perfect mix of flexibility and rigidity plus they exfoliate your skin as you shave. Remember, these brushes are initially a bit stiff however as you keep using them they become soft. From day one, they can create a thick, dense lather from the hardest shaving soap.
a. Balm – usually non-alcoholic, these are great to help soothe and calm your skin and is perfect for normal to sensitive skin
b. Gel – a bit of alcohol is added to help close nicks & cuts while shaving, it freshens and cools your skin immediately and is perfect for oily skin
c. Lotion –
i. Splash – usually alcoholic, makes the skin dry and chapped
ii. Lotion in a Cream format – excellent for dry skin as it contains shea butter meant for dry skin, soothes & moisturizes. Protects the skin from irritation, razor burns and dryness
Benefits of Wet Shaving
1. For a new comer, you will start enjoying shaving and look forward to it every day. You will start experimenting with shaving creams, soaps, brushes, razors and so on and you won’t be satisfied till you get the BBS shave,
2. For someone experienced with wet shaving, the benefits are obvious as a wet shave gives you the closest shave, eliminates shaving irritation, razor bumps, and so much more. A wet shave is the best shave to preserve & nurture your skin,
3. In the long run, wet shaving will always be cost effective than any other method. Beyond the initial investment, the blades are cheap and you are free to experiment with dozens of blade brands, the shaving brush will last a lifetime of use and the shaving cream and soap will take care of your skin,
4. You can start showing off your skin’s new radiance by telling everyone about wet shaving as people will ask you. Your bathroom looks elegant with tubs and stands for razors and brushes rather than a can or old mug stocked with your toothbrush and razor,
5. Finally, men who switched over realized that despite the learning curve, the shaving process becomes enjoyable and less of a hassle. As you start using quality products, the enjoyment only increases.
Start enjoying shaving and grooming. Most people are not focusing on grooming and the impact it makes to your confidence. It’s not just about shaving, it is about your mannerisms, finger nails, body odor, and how you present yourself at all times…the full package.
A small, narrow mindset of ‘chalta hai’ attitude is the root cause. Most people can’t imagine making a change that could start a positive effect on their life, but you can.
Our tagline at Pink Woolf is Bring Back the Gentleman and we will help you unlock your true potential, one shave at a time. At Pink Woolf, we create superior Shaving & Skin care products with Natural Ingredients for men.
Ready to improve yourself?
Let us know the content you’d like us to cover amongst grooming, self-improvement, lifestyle, entrepreneurship at email@example.com